Wednesday 2 May 2012

Question 1, of Evaluation



Below is everything i said in the video, incase im too quick or boring you can read it. If you wish.


Question 1. In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?



A. I believe my media products develop the forms and conventions of similar media products. I researched many similar product and as a result my designs share many related features such as the way I structured my work as well as the use of media content which helps to create a professionally styled product.



Question 2. In depth, how far do you think you challenged or succumbed to the conventions of present day advertising?



A. I feel that my magazine double page advert is suitable for a 13-24 year old demographic because of the use of colours, font styles and images. I believe I have succeeded through the use of my colour scheme, sepia red and black. Theses three colours appeal to a wide variety of demographics as they could be classed as unisex colours. I have used all original images which are all linked to my website, and links to my Ident. In my opinion I feel I have succumbed to the typical conventions of present day advertising by using one main image on the left hand page taking up the whole page, this again helps my magazine advert conform to what is regarded as normal when it comes to magazine advert layouts. I have chosen to use a very attractive blonde female and a suave looking male as a main feature of my advert appealing to males and females, also making my advert unique as most adverts only feature one sex, normally female photographed in a provocative choreographed position (a sex icon) because this appears to be the norm when concerning advertising. So in a way I have challenged the forms and conventions of the advertisement industry by not using scantily cad women to advertise my new channel as I don’t just want a male audience.



Question 3. Did you use real media product to incorporate the traditional conventions or to help challenge the forms of typical conventions?


Both, so it would look professional but also fresh and new. I believe my website uses the typical conventions because I used real media product such as E4, MTV, Dave and 4OD web pages as inspiration on how to layout and structure my own website so it was suitable to my chosen demographic. Typical conventions such as the navigation bar (buttons), the expected adverts, the feature articles, the column layout and the list footer are all similar uses of the forms of typical conventions of the website conventions which I have used, creating a professional look.


However, the interactive rollover comic strips in the middle of the home page challenges the tradition layout as they make my website unique as mine is a comedy channel, so I added some older funny comic strips appealing to the older generation. I also feel the large image on the top banner challenges the typical conventions compared with the MTV home page banner which has their logo and a long small advert on top. I chose to use a large image because here I am stating that I know my target audience don't want to read loads they want to be entertained by the funny images and videos. By saying “bring the beach home” on the front page, i’m showing my target audience that you can have just as much summer fun here because every one always looks forward to the summer when they can just relax and not do any school/collage/ or university work, I want my audience to feel like that when they visit 4U’s website, they can relax here.



Question 4. In what ways does your Ident use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?



I believe that my Ident challenges the typical convention as I have used a real person, an Ident is normally an animated advert advertising the channel you are watching whilst mine is original and therefore very different but amusing at the same time. I am proud of my Ident it was a brilliant idea but I do wish I made an animated version of the same scene so that i could see which one looked better overall. I wasn't able to do an animated version as I was limited to my colleges equipment and time was very short. I did a lot of research for the Ident though and altogether I have watched almost 200 indents and I can say only MTV and channel four have used real people in there Ident occasionally however the graphics around them were animated so I definitely challenged the typical conventions and designed a unique Ident.




No comments:

Post a Comment